Two parts of Diet Power have a built-in word processor:
· The notepad in the Calendar, used for posting daily reminders, keeping a diary, or writing whatever records you like.
· The Directions pad in the Recipe Box, used for describing how a dish is prepared.
The word processor works the same in both places, and strongly resembles Windows Notepad. There's one important exception, however: the Edit Menu (used for cutting, copying, pasting, and deleting blocks of text) is not listed on the screen. You can open it, however, by right-clicking anywhere on the pad. Or you can perform its functions by using the hot keys listed below.
The Edit Commands
Most of the commands on the Edit Menu apply to words or passages you've "selected." To select a piece of text means to highlight it. Selecting a single word is easy¾just double-click it. To select a block of text¾whether it's a long passage or just a piece of a word¾point to one end of the block with the mouse, hold down the left button, drag the pointer to the other end of the block, and release the button.
If you're not familiar with Windows Notepad, here's how the commands on the Edit Menu work:
· Undo (hot key: Ctrl+Z) undoes your last editing change. If you deleted a block of text, it will reappear. If you moved a passage, it will go back to where it was.
· Cut (hot key: Ctrl+X) removes whatever you've selected and puts it on the Windows Clipboard for later use.
· Copy (hot key: Ctrl+C) leaves the selected text in place, but puts a copy of it on the Windows Clipboard for later use. (Each time you cut or copy text, it replaces whatever was on the Clipboard before.)
· Paste (hot key: Ctrl+V) copies the contents of the Clipboard wherever you've placed the insertion point.
· Delete (hot key: the Delete key) erases whatever you've selected and doesn't put it on the Clipboard. (Use this when you want to get rid of a passage without overwriting what's on the Clipboard.)
· Select All (hot key: Ctrl-A) highlights the whole day's calendar notes or all of a recipe's directions. Use this when you want to erase a whole entry or copy and paste it to another date, recipe, or Windows program.
To export text to another date, recipe, or Windows program:
1. Select the text.
2. Using the Edit Menu or the hot key Ctrl+X or Ctrl+C (see "The Edit Commands," above), cut or copy the selected text.
3. Navigate to the place where you want the text to appear, and put the insertion point there.
4. Using the Edit Menu or the hot key Ctrl+V, paste the contents of the Clipboard into the chosen location.
To import text from another Windows program:
1. Select the text.
2. Using the other program's Edit Menu or a hot key, cut or copy the selected text.
3. Navigate to the place in Diet Power where you want the text to appear, and put the insertion point there.
4. Using Diet Power's Edit Menu or the hot key Ctrl+V, paste the text into the chosen location.