You can open the Windows Calculator from almost anywhere in Diet Power. You can also leave it running on your Taskbar so it will always be available.
(Note: When you're recording items you've eaten in your Food Log, you can do simple math without opening the Windows Calculator. See "A Timesaver" in Portion Editor.)
To open the calculator:
If you used it earlier in this session and minimized it, the calculator will still be running on your Taskbar. Instead of starting up a second calculator, restore the one that's already running.
If the Calculator is not already running, start it up by:
· clicking the Calculator button that appears at the bottom of many dialogs
· clicking the button at the top of your Home Screen
· opening the Help Menu (by clicking the word Help at the top of the Home Screen) and choosing "Windows Calculator."
For instructions on using the calculator:
1. Open the calculator's Help Menu (by clicking the word Help at the top of the calculator).
2. Click "Help Topics."
3. Use the Contents, Index, or Find tab to locate the topic you need.
To write the results of a calculation into a field in Diet Power:
There are two methods:
By hand (usually quicker):
1. With the calculator still on your screen, look at the results and remember them.
2. Double-click the field where you want to copy the results. (This assumes that you want to overwrite whatever is already in the field. If you'd rather append the results, single-click at the correct spot instead.) The calculator will vanish, automatically minimizing itself.
3. Type the results into the entry field.
4. Don't forget: The calculator is now running on your Taskbar. If you need it again, restore it from the Taskbar instead of clicking the Calculator button again.
By copying and pasting with the Windows Clipboard:
1. With the results still showing, open the calculator's Edit Menu by clicking the word Edit.
2. Click "Copy." Windows will copy the results to the Clipboard.
(Shortcut: Press Ctrl+C in place of steps 1 and 2.)
3. Double-click the field where you want to copy the results. (This assumes that you want to overwrite what is already in the field. If you'd rather append the results, single-click at the right spot instead.) The calculator will vanish, automatically minimizing itself.
4. Press Ctrl+V to paste the Clipboard's contents into the field.
5. Don't forget: The calculator is now running on your Taskbar. If you need it again, restore it from the Taskbar instead of clicking the Calculator button again.
To paste a figure from a Diet Power field into the Windows Calculator:
1. Select the figure, by double-clicking it or dragging the mouse pointer from one end to the other.
2. Press Ctrl+C to copy the figure to the Clipboard.
3. Start up or (if it's already on your Taskbar) restore the Windows Calculator (see "To open the calculator," above).
4. Open the calculator's Edit Menu, by clicking the word Edit.
5. Click "Paste." Windows will copy the figure from the Clipboard into the calculator.
(Shortcut: Press Ctrl+V in place of steps 4 and 5.)
To close the Windows Calculator:
If you want to leave it running on your Taskbar (recommended), click its Minimize button: .
If you don't want to leave it running, click its X button: